This is a huge topic that comes up all the time online on social sites and I wanted to address it from My side. That doesn’t mean that you have to agree with it and honestly, I am hoping that some of you don’t and can give Me some counter facts that I may have overlooked.
The main topic here is whether the movie has done more negative or more positive for our BDSM community. It is a highly debated topic and I seem to be a minority that think that it has done more positive then negative. This has led to many the debates and surprisingly, a large number of those debating saying it is more negative, haven’t even seen the movie or read the books! I have not read the books as I have heard the writing skills are dreadful but I have watched the first movie about 8 times and the second one three times. Overall I am a fan of them but that isn’t the part that is up for debate. 😉
Everyone in the lifestyle that is on social media has seen the hate articles out there condemning the movie and books. These are written by people in the lifestyle and are absolutely right for the most part. To us in the lifestyle, that are educated, these movies do NOT in any way show people what a true BDSM dynamic is like. I am in 100% agreement with that statement but we have to look at it from a vanilla person standpoint.
Ok, so lets look at a few of the reasons why the movie and books were so negative to use in the lifestyle:
- Consent was ignored throughout the movie.
- Safety protocols were not established or were completely ignored.
- Christian Grey is a stalker throughout the movie.
- No aftercare was ever provided during scenes.
- He is no control of his emotions.
- He manipulates her on multiple occasions.
- He isolates her from friends and family
That is just a bit of why it is a negative influence to us in the lifestyle. I am sure there is more that I haven’t even touched on but lets now look at it from a Vanilla person’s perspective watching the movie or reading the books. Christian Grey is a strong, wealthy, mysterious and good looking guy whom you know has mental health issues. He is pretty much the spitting image of every guy in those really slutty novels that a lot of women read. The difference is that he seems to have a power over women to get them to do what he wants them to do and that is damn sexy! The readers and watchers know that this isn’t real life just like the slutty books they are used to. They don’t know what consent means or anything. There eyes are now open to something they have never seen before which is the elusive world of BDSM.
With so much negative, what could possibly be positive about the books and movies? Glad you asked!
Before the movies and books came out it was hard to come out and explain to your friends and families that you were in a BDSM dynamic. There were massive misconceptions about what the lifestyle entailed. People would say “You mean like whips and chains?” or “Does he hit you???”. Now, if a vanilla person has seen the movie or read the books then they are more likely to say “Oh, you mean like 50 shades of grey?” which is so much better as a lead way into what you trying to explain to them. It is the perfect time to explain what you practice and how (SSC) safe, sane and consensual the dynamic is for you. I personally have had 100% success communicating with friends and family by referencing what I have with my wife in relation to the movie. Let me know if you have experienced ANYONE say to you “Oh, you mean like that movie where the guy was abusive, stalker-ish, controlling and didn’t provide proper aftercare?”.
Now, what else has it done for the community? The community of BDSM has grown leaps and bounds since the books and movies have been released. The acceptance of BDSM as a legitimate lifestyle has increased. This has had a negative and positive outcome which I will put into point form for everyone.
- As the pool of Dominants and submissive’s grows, you are more likely to find a match for you in a smaller geographic area.
- There a TON of new people to the lifestyle and this has spawned tons of new informational and educational material over social media and the internet. Even if you are experienced, there is a ton of new information available to you at your finger tips that you may not have known was available. I have talked to many experienced Dominant’s and submissive’s who are constantly learning because this information is now available to them.
- It is now easier for you to come out and tell your friends and family since you have a starting reference point to direct them too.
- They broke ground with these books and movies. I am hoping that this inspires other talented people from INSIDE our community to step up and take an interest in producing something that is a more accurate portrayal of what our lifestyle is about.
- The ratio of Dominants to submissive’s has been skewed. The majority of the readers were female and the ratio of male submissive to female submissive is so skewed to females that it is now a Dominants world.
- The ratio of experienced BDSM Lifestyle people to Newbies has been skewed. This means that experienced submissive’s and Dominants that are looking for experienced counter parts are having a harder time sifting through the masses to find someone.
- Yes, the movies were not a good portrayal of the lifestyle but, I have never heard a vanilla person make reference to the negatives. Most vanilla people think BDSM is about hitting each other anyway so they already have the wrong idea. It has always been about educating the vanilla crowd which hasn’t changed from before the movies.
As I said, not everyone is going to agree with these statements but I hope it does open the eyes of some people that always bitch about the negatives without even realizing that there is a flip side to it.